The claims against the Department of Water and Power are flowing in for damages to private citizens, businesses and even other governmental agencies incurred during the Sept. 12 power outage. The outage affected about half the residents of the city, damaging electronics and costing some businesses revenues. While there are always folks who will try to squeeze the system for whatever they can get, those who filed claims in this lawsuit have good reason. The DWP has failed to do routine upgrades to its facilities for decades, even while the city’s politicians were robbing utility revenues for the general fund. The DWP is lucky that the claims so far only equal slightly less than a quarter-million dollars. In the meantime, officials must figure out what went wrong and fix it. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREBlues bury Kings early with four first-period goals 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
“We are just about complete with the sub-base and base works and the curb and sidewalk installation along Chesterfield Drive itself; we are about 90 per cent complete with those. We are scheduled to begin pavement works in the upcoming week and an additional two weeks for completion from today, that’s what our target is,” she told JIS News.Ms. Lawson told JIS News that heavy rains had delayed work on the project, which was originally scheduled to be delivered a month after the start date of September 17.“It was a time when we had significant rainfall in that area, and so this project was being implemented in the height of one of our rainiest periods, and that affected works there,” she pointed out.The road is being built alongside the existing rail line that runs between the Caymanas area and Marcus Garvey Drive. It will create a dedicated access route to Marcus Garvey Drive for traffic coming from the Mandela Highway.The US$1-million project is being funded under the Major Infrastructure Development Programme (MIDP) and is being built by China Harbour Engineering Company Limited (CHEC).The Three Miles area has been closed to vehicular traffic to facilitate continued road-improvement works. The new US$1-million bypass for Three Miles in St. Andrew that is being constructed to help ease traffic congestion in the Corporate Area should be completed within the next two weeks.The two-lane 1.5-kilometres roadway is part of the Government’s overall road development and traffic management programme and will link Chesterfield Drive, off Spanish Town Road, to Marcus Garvey Drive.Senior Communications and Customer Services Officer at the National Works Agency (NWA), Ramona Lawson, told JIS News in an interview on Friday (November 9) that the project is about 68 per cent complete.“Based on where we are now, and barring any unforeseen circumstances, such as rain, for example, we should be delivering that in another two weeks,” she said.Ms. Lawson noted that several aspects of the project, including the drainage improvement works, culvert installation and construction of two bailey bridges, have been completed.Work is steadily progressing on a section of the new US$1-million bypass for Three Miles in St. Andrew. The road will link Chesterfield Drive, off Spanish Town Road to Marcus Garvey Drive. The US$1-million project is being funded under the Major Infrastructure Development Programme (MIDP) and is being built by China Harbour Engineering Company Limited (CHEC).