Flooding at 32nd Street and Haven Avenue during the height of the four-day northeast gale that swamped streets last weekend. City Council on Thursday awarded a $642,420 contract to Michael Baker International Company to design drainage and roadway improvements in an area of Ocean City buried under floodwaters many times a year.Noreen McBride of the 3200 block of Simpson Avenue told City Council that she moved her car to higher ground at the nearby Acme on Friday as a northeast gale caused the highest tides in Ocean City since Superstorm Sandy. She said she was “marooned in (her) house for three days” as the ensuing flood never receded.That’s the situation that McBride’s neighbors, Baker International and City Council want to improve for the area between 26th and 34th streets, Bay and West avenues.Council unanimously approved the resolution naming Baker as the design contractor. The same company completed a $44,720 engineering study of the area.The firm outlined potential fixes that could cost more than $12.5 million in a neighborhood meeting in August. Read more: Residents Happy to Hear Plan to Stem Tide on City Streets.The contract awarded on Thursday covers only the design work, permitting and other preliminary study. Council still would have to appropriate funds to execute the plans, and no timeline for that was discussed on Thursday.Merion Park resident Marty Mozzo talked about a similar project designed by Baker International for another of Ocean City’s low-lying neighborhoods.The improvements couldn’t stop the worst flooding he’s seen since 2009 and 2012’s Superstorm Sandy, Mozzo said, for five successive high tides.“But in the old days, the tide would not drain,” he said. “This time each and every tide drained. I think the other folks will enjoy what Baker is doing.”Suzanne Hornick, a leader of the OC Flooding citizens’ group advocating to expedite drainage improvements island-wide, thanked Mayor Jay Gillian and City Council “for everything you’ve done so far.” She also asked the administration to consider forming a volunteer group of property owners from each ward, Baker International representatives and city officials to work together on remediation plans.Ocean City Business Administrator Jim Mallon also reported to City Council that the city’s engineers are working on a separate island-wide comprehensive assessment of drainage needs.Mallon said the work is about 25 percent complete and ultimately will be input into the city’s GIS system and also available for the public to view online.Read more: Council Roundup: Pickleball Is In, OCTC Improvements on the Way__________Get the Daily: Sign up for free updates on Ocean City news
Games against newly-promoted Leicester and QPR also fall during that period, with West Brom the start of a healthy-looking run of fixtures for Koeman’s side – but the former Feyenoord coach refuses to take anything for granted. “I think it is not good to speak about the big clubs,” he said. “If you look back to the results in the first matches, all of them are very close. Arsenal only won in the last minute (against Crystal Palace). “What is a big team? The competition is very competitive and you have to play good and you have to be good to win against everybody. “Sometimes the name of the club means a lot but, between the lines, it can be difficult against everybody and you have to prepare yourself to play well against everybody.” Many have tipped Southampton to struggle to replicate last season’s best-ever eighth place finish given the sales of several key players. Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Dejan Lovren all moved to Liverpool whilst Luke Shaw signed for Manchester United and Arsenal came in for Calum Chambers. But Koeman has re-invested much of that money and his new-look side were unfortunate to lose at Liverpool, with Daniel Sturridge scoring a 79th-minute winner for the hosts. Press Association The Dutchman lost his first competitive match in charge of Saints when they slipped to a narrow 2-1 defeat at Anfield on Sunday and will be hoping to pick up a win in his maiden home game against the Baggies. Between now and a November 30 meeting with reigning Barclays Premier League champions Manchester City, only a visit to face Tottenham and former boss Mauricio Pochettino at White Hart Lane sees Southampton face a team who finished above them last season. Having come close to taking a point from last season’s runners-up, Koeman believes his players will be able to draw on that experience. “It was frustrating,” he said about the defeat. “I thought we played at a good level with an amazing second half and the result was not what we deserved. “It was good for the confidence because maybe everyone was afraid about how we would start the season. We showed our qualities and showed we are a team who can be very competitive against everybody. “We know this Saturday it will be different, maybe more difficult because everyone expects the same level at home and we have to dominate more than we did against Liverpool. The belief is in the team and in the players and everyone is ready for Saturday.” Head coach Alan Irvine has warned West Brom that Southampton’s summer fire sale has not torched the Saints’ threat. They host the Baggies in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday after losing their opening game under Koeman, going down 2-1 at Liverpool. But Irvine has told his side the Saints, who have spent £10.9million on Dusan Tadic from FC Twente and £8million on Graziano Pelle from Feyenoord, are still dangerous. “Having been at Anfield last Sunday and watched how well they played and watched how many chances they were able to create at a really difficult place I think they can more than survive,” he said. “I think they could have a very good season. They have spent the money very wisely and replaced very good players with very good players. “I was very impressed with how they played at Anfield. Not many teams go to Anfield and make it go quiet but that certainly happened during periods of the game. “They deserved something out of the game last week and I believe it will be a very tough place for teams to go this season.” Koeman has replaced Lambert with former Baggie Shane Long in a £12million deal from Hull. The Republic of Ireland striker only joined Hull from Albion in January, scoring four goals in 15 games, and Irvine is aware of his threat. He said: “He’s a very good player for a start and is going to be an important player for them, sometimes former players come back to haunt you. “We have just got to make sure if Shane does play from the start that we are ready to cope with the threat.” James Morrison and Joleon Lescott have resumed training but are not fit after knee injuries while new signing Georgios Samaras is not in the squad after signing on Friday. Irvine added: “The good news is when we started training on Thursday, every player in the squad was there. That included Joleon, though he only did the first part of the session which is what was planned for him and then went and joined the fitness coach.” Ronald Koeman is preparing for Saturday’s meeting with West Brom with the same respect he had for Liverpool last weekend – insisting he has no ‘big club’ hang-ups.
Boxing legend, Muhammad Ali, is so ill from Parkinson’s that he can barely speak, his brother, Rahman Ali has said.The three-time world heavyweight champion was diagnosed with the disease in 1984, but his condition has gradually deteriorated and he is now mostly housebound.He was too ill to attend a premiere of a film about his life last week and his condition meant he could not take part in the production of the movie either.His brother, Rahman, 71, attended the screening of ‘I Am Ali’ in Hollywood, and told The Sunday People: ‘I have not been able to talk to my brother about this because he is sick.‘He doesn’t speak too well. But he is proud that we are here for him. He has given this film his blessing.’While his daughter Maryum, 46, who was also at the premiere, said her father would love the film and it will make him laugh and cry.Her sister Hana, 38, is planning to show the legendary boxer the new movie at his Arizona home later this month. Directed by Clare Lewins, the documentary movie gives unprecedented access to Ali’s personal archive of ‘audio journals’ as well as interviews with his family and boxers Mike Tyson and George Foreman, and put together to tell his life story.Nicknamed the ‘Louisville Lip’ for his infamous wit, Ali remained active for several years after his diagnosis and made a moving appearance at the Atlanta 1996 Olympic Games where he lit the flame.However, the sporting icon, who retired from boxing after suffering several strokes, was seen looking particularly thin and frail at the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony where he was helped across the stage by wife Lonnie.In February 2013 his brother Rahman said Ali was so crippled by the degenerative brain condition that has afflicted many ex-boxers, he might not survive until the summer.He also made claims that the family had been barred from seeing Ali, who is estimated to be worth more than £50million, and could only speak to him on the phone. Rahman said his brother was ‘a prisoner in his own home’ and he is being gravely mistreated by his wife because ‘she is more interested in Ali’s money than his well-being’.However, Ali’s daughter May said she had spoken to her father that morning and he was fine, watching the Super Bowl at home in Arizona wearing a Baltimore Ravens jersey.“He’s fine, in fact, he was talking well this morning,” she said in a telephone interview with CBS at the time. “These rumours pop up every once in a while but there’s nothing to them.”Muhammad’s son, Ali Jr, said in January he believe there was ‘no chance’ his father would survive another year.“I just want, hope and pray to God that this awful disease takes my dad sooner rather than later. Take him away from all the suffering he’s in,” stressed the junior Ali.
Wellington Police notes: Thursday, July 14, 2016â€¢3:25 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 200 block N. C, Wellington.â€¢7:30 p.m. Officers took a report of suspicious activity in the 100 block S. B, Wellington.
by Aubrey Bruce, For New Pittsburgh CourierCam Newton, Patrick Mahomes, Jacoby Brissett, DeShaun Watson, Lamar Jackson, Russell Wilson, Teddy Bridgewater, Kyler Murray. What do all of these names have in common? First and foremost, many are current first-string NFL quarterbacks that are changing the old, sodded, outdated definition of the standard skill set required to become and remain starting QBs. There has been and continued to be a myth that Black QBs are less than intellectual than their counterparts at the position. On Jan. 31, 1988, in San Diego, that myth should have been laid to rest because Doug Williams of the Washington Redskins became the first African American quarterback to start in and win a Super Bowl.Williams led his team to an upset 42-10 victory over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXII.Williams and the Redskins obliterated the Denver defense, scoring 35 points in the second quarter, the most points ever for a single postseason quarter in National Football League (NFL) history. Williams threw four touchdowns in the first half, tying a then-Super Bowl record for most touchdowns thrown in an entire game.At that point in pro football history, African American QBs were not and are still not considered by many pundits to not be smart enough to grasp and implement complex NFL offenses. It has been perpetrated for decades that Black quarterbacks have been forced to use their legs in order to compensate for the lack of understanding simple concepts such as reading all of their progressions and being able to check in and out of plays effectively, etc, etc. By the way, they also are deficient at reading and deciphering mind-boggling NFL defenses. What? In these days and times of 4.7 and 4.8 40’s being posted by modern-day linebackers and defensive ends, a quarterback better be able to use his legs. The era of the “statue-back” is over. OGs, get used to it. Within the past quarter of a century the Pittsburgh Steelers had Kordell Stewart, Dennis Dixon and the aforementioned Josh Dobbs on their roster and except for Stewart none of them have had a legitimate shot to compete for a starting position. They also recently traded their supposedly third-tier QB Dobbs to the Jacksonville Jaguars prior to Ben Roethlisberger’s “disclosed injury.”That left the Steelers with Mason Rudolph as their No. 1, rookie Devlin Hodges as their No. 2 and their No. 3 guy on the depth chart, Paxton Lynch. Lynch was drafted in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos. For all intents and purposes, up until this point I won’t label Mr. Lynch as a complete bust, but let’s just say that so far his career as been less than stellar.Rudolph must make up for his lack of mobility by getting rid of the ball quickly or the Steelers will have no more than a snowball’s chance in Hades to make the playoffs. It is not the job of the Steelers defense to rescue Rudolph from himself because he gets paid to do his job. All he has to do is show up, step up and do it. As far as running quarterbacks go, ask the New England Patriots who were recently dismantled and humbled by the running of the supposedly less than intellectual Baltimore Ravens QB Lamar Jackson by the score of 37-20. Ask the Patriots who they would rather face? Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph? Like us at https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Pittsburgh-Courier/143866755628836?ref=hlFollow @NewPghCourier on Twitter https://twitter.com/NewPghCourier
Facebook52Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Adopt-A-PetMeet Taz! He is a handsome, people-pleasing, 1-year-old, 49-pound Labrador Retriever/Border Collie mix who is looking for his forever and loving home. He is busy, sweet, enjoy car rides, and is eager to use his smarts to learn new things. If you can provide leadership, exercise, love, and a home where he can be the only dog, then he may be the perfect boy for you. He would also need a securely fenced yard. Taz is so ready to pack his bags and go home to continue growing with his lucky people. Check out his starring video to see him in action practicing his new skills in this cute video. According to shelter volunteers, he is a star.If you have further questions or would like to schedule an appointment to meet Taz in person, please contact the adoption team at Shelton Adopt-a-Pet. Emails are the preferred method of communication.Adopt-A-Pet has many great dogs and always need volunteers. To see all our current dogs, visit the Adopt-A-Pet website, our Facebook page or at the shelter on Jensen Road in Shelton. For more information, email [email protected] or call 360-432-3091.
ARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 27, 2017)–Reigning Breeders’ Cup Classic Champion Arrogate worked a mile at 9:05 this morning in 1:38.40, but according to Bob Baffert, a decision has still not been made as to whether he’ll stay home and run in the Grade I, $750,000 Santa Anita Handicap on Saturday, March 11, or in the $10 million Dubai World Cup on March 25.“The decision will be made by the Prince (Khalid bin Abdullah, owner of Juddmonte Farms),” said Baffert, who watched the work with Arrogate’s regular rider Mike Smith from the Santa Anita box seat area this morning. “All we do is give him the options. Hopefully, we’ll hear something this week. He went very well, it looks like he hasn’t regressed at all (after his win in the inaugural Grade I, $12 million Pegasus World Cup Invitational at Gulfstream Jan. 28).“I love the way he went…I had him in 12.21, 24.30, 36.32, 48.29, 59.96, 1:12, 1:24.40 and 1:38 and two (fifths). He gets stronger the further he goes…So far, he’s handled everything well.”Highly respected private clocker Andy Harrington was transfixed by the work, which took place under overcast skies with the temperature at 54 degrees.“He’s come back from Florida stronger,” said Harrington. “His last two drills have been terrific, off the charts. It doesn’t look like he’s missed a beat. He’s come out of the Florida race fantastic.”A swashbuckling winner of three consecutive Grade I stakes, the Travers at Saragota on Aug. 27, the Breeders’ Cup Classic here on Nov. 5, and the $12 million Pegasus World Cup Invitational at Gulfstream Park on Jan. 28, Arrogate, if he were to enter and run, could be the best horse to grace the Big ‘Cap since the legendary Spectacular Bid in 1980.“We’ve had five Hall of Famers, John Henry, Alysheba, Best Pal, Tiznow and Lava Man, win the Big ‘Cap since The Bid did it in 1980,” said Santa Anita Morning Line Maker, Jon White. “At this point, considering what Arrogate has done in his last three races, I personally feel he might well be the best horse to run in the Big ‘Cap since Spectacular Bid.”A 4-year-old grey colt by Unbridled’s Song, out of the Distorted Humor mare Bubbler, Arrogate, who was purchased for $560,000 at the Keeneland September Yearling Sale in August, 2014, has won six of seven lifetime starts and has earnings of $11,084,600.Second only to the late Charlie Whittingham, Baffert has trained the winners of five Big ‘Caps, dating back to General Challenge in 2000. (The “Bald Eagle” amassed nine).With his Hoppertunity committed to run in Dubai, Baffert’s Mor Spirit is also nominated for the 80th running of America’s longest continually staged “hundred grander.”Entries for the Santa Anita Handicap will be taken the morning of Wednesday, March 8.To view uncut morning workout videos, visit XBTV.com, under the video on demand link; http://www.xbtv.com/video-on-demand/workouts/ .