first_imgDONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUEREPORTSVoodoo Venue Cup Donegal Town Reserves 5     Castlefin Celtic Reserves 4In a nine goal thriller played in ideal conditions Donegal Town emerged victorious at home. Castlefin were quickest off the mark with a goal from Gavin McNulty. Donegal Town quickly equalised with Gary Ward’s top corner effort. Donegal town took the lead shortly before the half-time break with Stephen Curneen getting the better of the Castlefin keeper with a magnificent chip. Castlefin equalised shortly after with Christopher Bryson’s shot taking a deflection and leaving the Donegal keeper with no chance. 2 – 2 at half time. Donegal Town started the second half brightly, the in-form David Graham scoring two in quick succession. The teams were level again after goals from Marcus Curran and Aaron Dalton of Castlefin. The victory however belonged to the home side when a long range effort from Nathan Carr found the back of the net. 5 – 4 to Donegal Town. Worth a mention was the debut performance of Ben Sweeney of Donegal Town who was excellent throughout.Cappry Rovers Reserves 2     Curragh Athletic Reserves 1Once again the home team fielded a young team with a few experience players mixed through them. They started well against breeze and had a few early chances but couldn’t find the target. In the 23rd minute the home side took the lead when Conor Laverty finished well from a Conor Mc Glynn pass. Cappry should have made it 2-0 in the 35th minute when Karl Mc Glynn went through but saw his effort to lob the keeper drift wide. Curragh started the 2nd half well and got their reward for the good start in 55th minute when Don Maguire fired low into the bottom corner. Cappry were nearly back in front in the 68th minute but the Curragh keeper saved well from Neil Patrick Mc Daid. Cappry did take the lead again in 76th minute when Matthew Mc Ginley found Conor Mc Glynn who made no mistake from just inside the box. Curragh pushed hard to get a 2nd goal but were unable to find a way through the Cappry defence. Referee: Seamus Mc Groary Milford United Reserves 0     Glenree United Reserves 5Milford welcomed Glenree to Moyle View for their first competitive game of the season in the Voodoo Venue cup. Glenree started the brighter and took the lead through “Gooch” Doherty. The impressive Colin Gallagher then scored to make it 2-0 at the break. Milford started the second half the better but were caught on the counter attack with Marty McLaughlin finishing. Joe Bray and Hughie Bradley added two late goals to round off a disappointing performance from Milford. Best for Glenree were Colin Gallagher and “Gooch” Doherty.Fintown Harps AFC 1                St. Catherines Reserves 7In fair conditions at Pairc Achla the home side hosted St.Catherines in their first game in the Voodoo Venue Cup. The first half was evenly contested. The visitors took the lead through Paul McFadden. This goal was followed quickly by two more from Brian Smith. The second half Fintown started brightly with Aaron Boyle scoring for the home side to give Fintown hope of acomeback. That was short lived when St Catherine’s scored further goals through Caolan Bryne and Paul Mc Fadden to see them into the next round. Drumkeen United 4     Glencar Celtic 5Drumkeen United began life in the Donegal Saturday League when they welcomed Glencar Celtic to St. Patricks Park on Saturday afternoon. This proved to be a very entertaining game with plenty of goals. The home team began well but found themselves a goal behind after five minutes when an Eddie McLaughlin cross was stabbed home from close range by Decky Scanlon. Drumkeen had a couple of chances as well when Peter McNamee fired wide and Shaun Gallagher put a free kick over the bar following a foul on Dylan McNamee. The home team found themselves further behind when a long ball over the top was misjudged by the defence and found its way to Garvin Grieve who crossed it for Decky Scanlon to score. Drumkeen got a goal back through Paul Bonner following some good approach work by the Mc Namee brothers Peter and Dylan. They drew level a short time later when Peter McNamee was fouled in the box and Paul Bonner made no mistake from the penalty spot. Glencar took the lead again through Eddie Mc Laughlin. Drumkeen got back level pretty quickly when a John Rogers’ free kick was deflected into the net off a Glencar defender. The home team were well in the game at this stage and took the lead just before half time when Dylan McNamee scored what was probably the goal of the match with a great finish from outside the box. Drumkeen began the second half well and Peter McNamee nearly added a 5th goal but his effort went narrowly wide. Aaron Doherty also had a great effort which hit the post and came back out. As the second half went on Glencar began to dominate and had Drumkeen under pressure for a long period of time. They drew level when a ball came back off the post and fell to Eddie McLaughlin who fired it home. Drumkeen were now running out of steam but were hanging on pretty well. Glencar eventually took the lead again though Liam Doherty although Drumkeen felt he was offside but their appeals were waved away by referee Con Mc Laughlin. As the clock was ticking down Drumkeen had one last chance when they were awarded a free kick from 20 yards out .This would prove to be the last kick of the game. Aaron Doherty took the free and it went just over the bar. Drumkeen will be disappointed but they showed great fighting spirit to get themselves back in the game and they can look forward to the rest of the season with confidence as they won’t meet many better teams than Glencar Celtic. The visitors may not have been at their best in this game but they will be happy enough to still be in the Cup Competition and will undoubtedly improve as the season goes on. Drumkeen had good performances from Paul Bonner, Peter McNamee, Dylan McNamee and Aaron Doherty while Graham Cullen and Eddie McLaughlin were best for Glencar. Referee: Con McLaughlin.Arranmore United 4     Drumbar F.C. 0Arranmore began their season in good form as they overcame a plucky hardworking Drumbar side. Arranmore started well, Chris Mc Glanaghey and Conor Proctor were denied by the visiting keeper. The home side took the lead on 25 minutes after great link up play involving Mike Mc Hugh and Gavin Mc Glanaghey who rounded the keeper and slotted home. The same player made no mistake on 55 minutes from the spot although it was a soft looking decision.. The returning striker showed his class and bagged his and Arranmore’s 3rd on 65 minutes with a beautiful finish. Arranmore played some great attacking football and finished well with Turski getting the 4th in injury time. Good performance from both teams. Gavin for his goals, Declan Proctor and Phil Boyle were best for Arranmore. Referee: Brian O’ Kane Glenea United Reserves 2     Drumoghill F.C. Reserves 0This match was switched to “The Moss” AS Mc Gettigan Park was unplayable. Two goals from Aodhan Ferry were enough to see the Glasserchoo side through to the next round of the Voodoo Venue Cup. DONEGAL JUNIOR LEAGUE: ALL THE REPORTS FROM THE VOODOO VENUE CUP was last modified: August 30th, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal Junior LeagueMatch Reportsvoodoo venue cuplast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *