—– 12 News has a crew on the way to the scene. 5:19 P.M. UPDATE: The cause of the fire is unknown and under investigation. Due to extensive damage, crews tore down the building. However, fire officials say the connected store can be salvaged, due to a firewall dividing the two buildings. —– VESTAL (WBNG) — Authorities have shut down Stage Road as crews work to battle a fire at Home Central Thursday. 3:35 P.M. UPDATE; VESTAL (WBNG) — Emergency crews are responding to a fire at Home Central on 199 Stage Rd. in Vestal. —– VESTAL (WBNG) — The Vestal High School and Clayton Avenue Elementary School have cancelled after-school and evening activities due to the massive fire at Home Central on Stage Road. 3:11 P.M. UPDATE: Dispatchers could not confirm further details with 12 News. The fire department says the fire is difficult to put out due to materials the building is made out of. The building is used for storing lumber and other similar materials. VESTAL (WBNG) — The Vestal Fire Department tells 12 News no one was hurt in the blaze at Home Central along the Vestal Parkway. The Vestal High School Principal says the district has cancelled the activities out of an abundance of caution due to the smoke in the area. There is no danger to the buildings, the principal says. This is a developing story. Stay with 12 News for further updates.
Nayor stresses that a string of armed robberies like this is not something a police chief ever wants to see. The robberies took place at the Byrne Dairy on N. Meadow Street on July 12, The Quick Shoppe on Third St. on July 21, The Hilton Garden Inn on Seneca Street on July 25, A-Plus Gas Station on Cayuga Street on July 26, a convenience store on North Meadow Street later on July 26 and finally a robbery Tuesday morning at the Universal Deli-Grocery on Eddy St. ITHACA (WBNG) — Six armed robberies have taken place in the city of Ithaca since July 12 with five happening in just the last week. Ithaca Police Chief Dennis Nayor says the uptick in gun related crime has the department doing all that they can to keep up with the crimes, with limited resources. “Mechanisms need to exist so the police don’t become the catch all for things that should be addressed in other areas before they become problematic,” he says. “It seems to be a trend that I do not like, and we’re going to do all we can to control it,” he says. Two arrests have been made so far. 40 Year old Allen Forrest of Lansing was arrested Sunday after the North Meadow Street robbery and a 15 year old juvenile for the robbery on July 21st at the Quick Shoppe on Third St. The rest remain under investigation and Nayor says he believes some of them may be connected. The armed robberies come at a time when national protests are calling for police departments to be defunded, and several protests have been held against the Ithaca Police Department in recent weeks. Having said that, he stresses that these recent incidents underscore the need for adequate police funding, and the need for police to be able to respond to and properly investigate crimes within the community. He says the ongoing investigations also underscore the need for the public and local police departments to work together to solve crimes like these. “We ask people if they do have information or tips to please call us and they can stay confidential, use our tip line and that can help us out in finding out who is committing these acts,” he says. Nayor says he doesn’t disagree with everything that protesters are calling for. He says he believes that issues related to mental health, homelessness and drug use shouldn’t be handled by the police, and improved mental health resources could prevent future crimes from taking place. “We don’t know how many of them and which ones but that remains to be seen and that’s part of the investigation,” he says. “We need to have officers to respond to calls, to be proactive, to do outreach,” he says “Right now we want to make sure we do everything we can and obviously that’s resource dependent and so we need to have the ability with staffing and funding to do that. Right now there’s movements toward defunding the police and that’s very much not consistent with what we need to achieve our mission,” he says. You can submit an anonymous tip to the Ithaca Police Department by clicking here. “Right now we’re starting to see the violence picking up, the calls with gun violence picking up,” he says.
“From the information we have received so far, we have been told that the incidents in question included some players compromising the bubble integrity by mixing between two separate West Indies bubbles into which the touring party had been split, by sharing food and socialising in hallways.”- Advertisement –
Carindale was one of the suburbs to perform well in the latest land valuations. This home at 51 Kirra Place, Carindale is listed for sale. Picture: realestate.com.auLAND values increased in less than half of Queensland’s local government areas in the past year, with regional areas feeling the pinch.New land valuations, to be released on Wednesday, will reveal increases in just 10 of the 28 local government areas assessed.Those that did increase experienced rises of between 1.8 per cent and a whopping 57.5 per cent.That big performer was the Carpentaria local government area the median value was now still a very affordable $31,500.According to the Valuer-General’s 2017 Property market movement report Southeast Queensland suburbs fared well.Queensland Valuer-General Neil Bray said land valuations in Logan Council area were up by 18.9 per cent, Ipswich by 11.5 per cent and Brisbane 10.3 per cent.“An increase in urban land values has generally occurred in Brisbane and its environs, the Gold Coast and Gympie,’’ he said.In all 87 Brisbane suburbs recorded minor increases of up to $50,000 in median value including Zillmere, Mt Gravatt, Lutwyche, Kenmore, Annerley, Windsor, Aspley, Ascot and Bulimba.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home2 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor8 hours agoA further 32 suburbs had increased land values between $50,000 and $75,000 including Camp Hill, Mansfield, Salisbury, Auchenflower, Bowen Hills and Chermside. Bulimba land values performed well. This home at 53 Duke St, Bulimba is listed for auction on April 8. Picture: realestate.com.auThirteen suburbs recorded a median increase at or above $75,000 including the suburbs of Hamilton, Chapel Hill, Seven Hills, Carindale, Holland Park and Sunnybank.Regional Queensland did not perform as strongly as the southeast corner, particularly those areas with a close connection to the resources industry.The biggest drop in land values was in the Maranoa local government area where it dropped by 54.6 per cent to a median value of $59,000.Although some regional areas didn’t far well Mr Bray said generally across Queensland there had been increased sales activity in rural markets.“This has resulted in an uplift in land values within the majority of grazing, horticultural, small crop and dryland farming industries,’’ he said. “Continued high commodity prices within the beef industry and continued low interest rates are driving this confidence, even though the majority of the state remains drought declared.’’The latest round of valuations represented about 73 per cent of all properties in Queensland and they take affect from 30 June 2017.
Associated Press 23 June 2012President Barack Obama’s endorsement of gay marriage appears to have made Americans on both sides of the issue even more entrenched in their positions, firing up his young, liberal backers and intensifying opposition from Republicans and conservatives, according to a new poll. Overall, his announcement last month that he supported gay marriage did little to shift the nation’s views on the subject, with the country remaining evenly divided on it, the Associated Press-GfK survey found. And people still seem to favour him over Republican presidential rival Mitt Romney when it comes to handling social issues. Even so, the poll, out Friday, found stronger approval from Democrats and liberals for the way he’s handled gay marriage over the last year and deeper discontent over that performance from the other side. In the poll, 42 percent of respondents oppose gay marriage, 40 percent support it and 15 percent are neutral. Last August, the country was similarly divided over whether same-sex couples should be allowed to be legally married in their state, with 45 percent opposing, 42 percent favouring and 10 percent neutral.http://www.3news.co.nz/Views-shift-little-after-Obama-backs-gay-marriage/tabid/417/articleID/258852/Default.aspx
Alexis Sanchez scored twice as Arsenal moved back into the top four of the Barclays Premier League with a 3-0 victory over stubborn Burnley at the Emirates Stadium. The Clarets, in a black away strip, continued their improvement and enjoyed a spell of possession, pushing Arsenal back. But slowly the hosts regained some momentum, with Sanchez and Oxlade-Chamberlain the main agitators. Somehow Burnley survived when Sanchez chipped the ball down the right for Chambers to run onto and cut back across the six-yard box, where Cazorla’s close-range shot was blocked brilliantly by Michael Duff. The visitors’ resistance was, though, finally broken on 70 minutes. A deep ball in from Chambers hung up at the far post, where Sanchez powered between Duff and Trippier to crash a header into the bottom-right corner. Before Burnley could regroup, it was 2-0. A corner from the left came through to Welbeck, whose shot was blocked on the line, with Chambers quick onto the rebound, lashing it in from two yards to celebrate a first Arsenal goal since his summer move from Southampton. Arsenal made a double change with 10 minutes left as Lukas Podolski replaced Welbeck and Walcott came on for Oxlade-Chamberlain, almost 10 months after being carried off in an FA Cup tie against Tottenham with a knee injury which would shatter his World Cup dream. Heaton saved brilliantly from an acrobatic effort by Podolski, and then turned Walcott’s angled drive onto the crossbar before the German saw a fierce left-footed volley crash off the post. Arsenal chalked up a third in stoppage time when the ball was played through the Burnley box to Sanchez, who calmly weaved past two defenders and stabbed the ball in from close range. Press Association The lively Chile forward powered in a header on 70 minutes having earlier been denied by fine saves by busy goalkeeper Tom Heaton and a string of blocks by the dogged Clarets defence. England defender Calum Chambers netted a second two minutes later, lashing in his first Arsenal goal following a corner, with both Heaton and the woodwork saving Burnley futher after Theo Walcott had made a welcome return off the bench from a long-term knee injury. Sanchez, so impressive since a £30million summer move from Barcelona, waltzed in a third during stoppage time as the Gunners moved above West Ham on goal difference, and level with Manchester City, who play on Sunday. As often in such fixtures, it was Arsenal, who made all of the early running, but found Burnley’s two banks of rigid defence difficult to break down. Danny Welbeck weaved into the penalty area, riding a couple of challenges, before his goal-bound shot cannoned behind off Kieran Trippier. On 20 minutes, the Arsenal players were incensed when a corner from the right by Santi Cazorla was pushed away by the fist of George Boyd, who had not long been cautioned for a foul, but was missed by the officials, with the assistant referee David Bryan perfectly placed on the near side. Arsenal continued to press and Cazorla flashed a 10-yard drive wide following Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain’s cut-back. Burnley, looking to get off the foot of the table with a first league win, remained under siege as the busy Sanchez got away down the left and his curling shot was parried out by Heaton, with the follow-up effort from Cazorla blocked. Sanchez whipped another 20-yard drive just wide of the top-right corner before the Chile forward was denied by a fine reaction save from Heaton after darting into the left side of the Burnley penalty area. There was a rare moment of panic in the Arsenal box at the start of the second half as Danny Ings squirmed clear, but between them Per Mertesacker and goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny eventually managed to mop up the loose ball.
France have vowed to strong-arm Sexton all week in the build-up to Sunday’s Pool D decider at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium. Ireland boss Schmidt backed Sexton to shrug off the niggly French rhetoric, after confirming Jared Payne was omitted due to a mixture of lingering foot trouble and Keith Earls’ fine form. Press Association Johnny Sexton can withstand France’s merciless all-out assault and will not be bullied into mistakes in Sunday’s vital World Cup battle, according to Joe Schmidt. Munster flyer Earls will start at outside centre and square up directly to France’s juggernaut centre Mathieu Bastareaud, but Schmidt believes his midfield men can cope with the pressure. “The last time we played France the first ball they got they came straight down Johnny’s channel and made the same sort of noises what they were going to do then,” said Ireland head coach Schmidt. “I haven’t really seen too much of what has been said this week, but we’ve got to concentrate on our own battle. “We are pretty well aware of who was going to be in their team. “I do know one thing though: Jonathan Sexton will not be found wanting for courage. “He won’t step out of the way, he will put himself in harm’s way. “He is a big, strong lad and I think that gives us confidence that if they do go down that channel, Johnny will be ready for them. “And the guys coming off the back of the scrum and lineout will connect with him. “Robbie Henshaw topped our tackle count last week with 16 out of 16 tackles. “Within the group they are looking forward to the challenge and they know it will be one heck of a challenge.” Munster’s in-form flyer Earls slots in at outside centre with Payne unable to start despite Ireland having expected him to beat his heavily-bruised foot at the start of the week. Schmidt insisted it was not worth risking Payne to face France, with Ireland already assured of a quarter-final next weekend. Win and top the pool and Ireland will face Argentina rather than the All Blacks in the last eight. Lock Devin Toner has been restored to the starting line-up with Ulster powerhouse Iain Henderson dropping to the bench, primed to counter France’s heavy-hitting replacements in the closing stages. “It’s a mix of the two,” said Schmidt, when asked if Payne was left out owing to fitness or form. “We felt that Keith played pretty well last week amongst a pretty flat effort. “And he played exceptionally last time he was at the Millennium Stadium in the centre. “Jared got through training completely on Wednesday but we do think if we put him back in on Sunday it would aggravate the foot. “We just felt it was pertinent to leave Jared for another week. “Whichever game it is next week we want to try to ensure we have a fully-fit squad to pick from.” Ireland have beaten France twice in succession en route to back-to-back Six Nations triumphs, Sexton taking a battering from Toulon centre Bastareaud on both occasions. Former Racing Metro playmaker Sexton was returning after a three-month concussion lay-off when Ireland edged out France 18-11 in Dublin in this year’s Six Nations, fearlessly standing up in a string of big hits against Bastareaud. Earls is not famed for his dominant tackling, but Schmidt still backed the 28-year-old to cope amid the ferocious defensive challenge. “More often than not he’ll be marking up Wesley Fofana and he’s a speed, agility and power man,” said Schmidt. “We don’t have someone who is the same size as Mathieu Bastareaud anyway. “I’ve got massive respect for what he brings to their team. “We’ve long struggled to contain him. “One thing I know both the centres have is pretty much limitless courage. “They will put themselves in the way of Bastareaud or anyone coming down that channel.”
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis held a news conference at the Broward County Mobile Testing Site at CB Smith Park Thursday afternoon.He said Florida currently has 390 positive cases of coronavirus, with 29 in Palm Beach County, 98 in Broward County, and 86 in Miami-Dade County. That makes South Florida the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak in the state.DeSantis added that 2,500 test kits and 4,000 collection swabs have been distributed throughout the state“We’re living through the biggest crunch in supply and demands for medical supplies that we’ve ever seen in his country,” the governor explained.The mobile testing site at CB Smith Park is being operated by the National Guard and should be able to conduct several hundred tests each day, according to DeSantis. The samples taken there will be shipped to a private lab, where they will be refrigerated before being tested. The site is drive-thru only, and will not accept pedestrians or bikers.The governor says the process takes roughly eight minutes per vehicle, and testing will focus on healthcare workers and people ages 65 and over who are symptomatic.Testing samples were initially sent to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), resulting in a week-long wait for people to receive their results. According to DeSantis, the Broward testing model will be replicated throughout the state if it proves successful.Drive-Thru Testing Sites Set to Open This Week in Broward County
Parking spots — always elusive in Los Angeles — are a prized commodity on USC’s campus, and many students have been attempting to grab a spot by whatever means necessary.This spring and summer have seen a rash of students forging or altering the monthly parking permits that allow access to parking structures on campus. According to DPS Capt. David Carlisle, there have been 18 reports of falsified parking permits since April, with six so far this month.“It’s a common report,” Carlisle said. “Students try and create a fake parking permit or alter an existing permit, trying to make accurate copies of the permit in order to avoid the monthly parking fee.”Carlisle said USC Transportation, which patrols the parking lots around campus regularly, has a simple system to catch altered permits. All USC-issued parking permits have corresponding barcodes, which transportation officials can scan to determine their veracity.If a student’s permit is found to be false or tampered with, USC Transportation immobilizes the car by placing a boot on it, which can only be removed when the owner pays existing parking fees and fines for the fake permit — USC Transportation’s website lists fines as anywhere between $100 and $1,000.Students whose cars have been booted are also referred to Judicial Affairs for further action.Carlisle said the influx in permit modifications could be a combination of more forgeries and stricter enforcement on the part of transportation officers.